5 Reasons Why Newly Trained Teachers Should Join GNAT.
As you prepare to start teaching as a professional teacher, your choice of teacher union must be taking with keen interest. Below are 5 reasons why Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) should be considered. Please note that joining GNAT is optional and has it’s benefit. Read and take your decision.
1. Proper decentralization structure. GNAT as an association has decentralized it’s powers to regions, municipalities/districts, circuits and to school communities. This starts from the local executives- district executives – regional executives – national executives. This makes decision taking to be easy for the association as a whole.
2. The oldest and biggest teacher union in Ghana. In Ghana, the oldest and biggest association for teachers is GNAT. GNAT was established in 1960. Also, members are all over Ghana and in every district. This consist of private school teachers, public basic school teachers and secondary school teachers. Even tertiary teachers who are willing and ready to be members can join.
3. GNAT is a major stakeholder in Ghana’s education. Because GNAT is the biggest teachers association, the national executives are always in dialogue with government on educational policies and programs. This include basic and secondly level of education issues. All issues at the local level are forwarded to be captured in the interest of members for better condition of services for teachers in Ghana.
4. GNAT teachers fund contributions. As part of their better plans for teachers, GNAT introduced a contribution called GNAT teachers fund contribution established by a Trust Deed in May 1998 as retirement supplement and solidarity scheme for teacher in the union. Currently, it consist of a minimum amount of GHC 50.00 for an interested teacher per month. This amount is charged from source and can be increase upon request. The contribution is paid with interest anything upon request. “Teachers fund; saving today for a brighter tommorow”
5. Enjoyment of GNAT loan. Ghana National Association of Teachers also give loans to members upon request. These loans are with low interest rate as compared to banks. These loans includes personal loan, investment loan, habitat loan and vehicle loan.
Kindly leave your comments, share and like for more updates. Thank You!